Monday 20 June 2016

I'm a Fan.....ish. #walesfootball

I’m not an avid sports fan, and I never have been. I like some games to watch on the tele or at the pub, but I don’t really follow a single sport or team. Except rugby, but even then it’s just Wales, and I’m only mad on Six Nations or RWC’s. I know, stereotype back of the net that I love rugby.
Actually I’ll call your stereotype, a friend of mine admitted not liking rugby over the weekend. I literally didn’t understand her words. She’s Welsh as well.

Anyway back to SPORTS! More specifically the EURO’s. I love how the country has been swept up in Wales being in the Euros for the first time in 60 years. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s amazing and I’m chuffed for them, but like I said apart from ruggers, sports is not my thing, and football especially not. That’s just my opinion. I only enjoy MOTD (Match of the Day) because my boyf massages my feet at the same time. Win- Win.

Speaking of, Rob (boyf) has been obviously really into the footie games since it started and as there’s so many games, I can’t really expect massages all the time. I have therefore spent my time, pottering on the computer, around the house, reading, or doing a bit of writing. We’re watching the Wales-Russia game as I type.

Oooooh2-0 Wales.

It’s a mixture of him talking to the TV, shouting various words, or simply animal sounds, and laughing at his Whatsapp group who are “all the boys”. I’ve never asked him to elaborate on this group. I imagine boobs and sports. A bit stereotypical I know! Maybe I’ll ask one day and he’ll prove me wrong. It’s great because I’m earning loads of “remember that time I didn’t mind you watching all those footie games…” points. Which I will bank and whip out in the future. Don’t give me that if you love him let him watch what he wants shit either!

Sorry, back to the footie. My intrigue into the world of football started last Thursday when I found myself stopping what I was doing and watching the game, Wales-Eng. It wasn’t a great game, but I was still shouting at the tele. A great rivalry as old as time. I was getting excited, and asking questions. Apart from Bale I didn’t know anyone, but I was interested.  When it comes to football I have never liked the amateur dramatics of the game, the falling over and claiming broken foot, but the skill in the game is something to admire. I also have never liked the challenges with the referees either. You don’t see that in Rugby. These massive blokes getting a row off a tiny ref, they just take it, and so they should.

Sorry, Sorry! Back to footie! Focus!

Back to Thursday, it had happened, I had become a Welsh football fan, or a glory-fan (I think I coined that no?). Now that Wales were in the Euros I was into football. The more I started looking into the story the more I thought “well done Wales.” I felt proud, I was caught up in the patriotism that comes with being Welsh. I loved the way the country had come together. I loved how we were being seen across the world. One thing bringing so many people together to cheer for one common goal. It goes beyond that as well. It’s bringing countries together.

(Ooooooh 3-0 Wales, and the boy’s having a heart attack!) I just suggested taking Bale and Ramsey off and started a debate. I’m getting good at this footie chat.

Again back to last Thursday Wales-Eng. Question after question rolled off my tongue and Rob was happy and shocked to reply. He seems to know his stuff as well though he could be making it all up, I wouldn’t know. Though I hope not because, I have also learnt the offside rule, but for real now as well. I always thought I kind of knew it, but now I’m all over that S…!

So now I sit, cheering on Wales. Well writing this while cheering on Wales. I’m still bugging himself with questions, and obviously laughing at the football jokes he’s making that I don’t understand. For now, though, I’m into it. I’m excited and shouting now and again, and getting excited. No matter what sport it is there’s nothing like the sound of thousands of voices singing the Welsh National Anthem.

 I doubt I’ll stick with it once Wales are out, and I’ll go crawling back to rugby like a cheating wife that left to see if the grass was greener. I definitely won’t be watching MOTD, but I think if anything watching Wales has given me a new found respect for football, and with all my tuition now I may understand what’s going on in the other games.

I’m thinking of putting a female commentary team together. I think it would be interesting. A funnier, more interesting insight. A better perspective. I mean this one commentator is talking absolute SHIT! My friend Chloe and I were thinking about doing for Rugby, we rock a good Rugby game commentary. First Rugby, then the World! Well the other sports in the world but you get it!

What I have really enjoyed so far though about the Euros 2016, with so much negativity and fighting in the world, people killing people everyday, it’s nice to see the nicer stories about the positivity of the football in France, and the good that’s coming out of it.
I like this side of football.


No comments:

Post a Comment